Monday, February 25, 2008

"Bury The Bottle With Me" - Dick Curless

This is a song I've been thinking about a bit lately, given the whole quitting drinking thing.

Apparently it's written by Dick Curless (amazing name), but I first heard it through Robbie Fulks.

"There's a stone in yonder graveyard with my name carved in it deep.
It don't tell my life story these things it can't repeat.
I never had a family I never took a wife.
All I had was a bottle and I drank away my life.

So bury the bottle with me for it's what tore me down.
And I won't be alone tonight when they put me in the ground.
When they lower my body down.

A drunkard is a sinner on this I place no doubt.
Oh the Lord won't share this palace with a thing he lives without.
For the bottle is the devil and drinking is his name.
Now the bottle is what took my soul and petrified my brain.

So bury the bottle with me for it's what tore me down.
And I won't be alone tonight when they lower me in the ground.
When they lower my body down."

No comments: