Sunday, June 1, 2008

Plants scare me

I heard a story about plants, maybe 2 months ago. I'm not sure on the sources, or credibility, or any of that, but it really freaked me out.

They did this experiment with plants where they set up 2 plants in a room, and then had a guy come into the room and completely destroy one of the plants, and leave the other one alone. This produced in the other plant an actual "fearful" reaction of some kind (I'm not sure how they determined this, but something to do with chemical processes of plants and whatnot.)

Not only was the plant fearful, but they tested further and discovered that when somebody entered the room, the plant showed less fear than it did when the same guy who destroyed the other plant entered the room. I'm not fucking kidding, the plant could identify which guy destroyed the other plant in the room.

This world is so much more connected than any of us realize. Hell, even my laptop on my bed right now is probably at the point of synthetic living where it could be thinking "please, I need better ventilation to continue working at high efficiency, so prop me up from the mattress with some books or something, you asshole." If plants interact with the world in such complex ways, why couldn't a laptop, or anything else. Literally, anything.

That reminds me of a book I've been meaning to read, which Andy Dixon (Winning, Secret Mommy) recommended to me. It's by Tom Robbins, and it's about all kinds of non-living things struggling to move, particle by particle, to some alternate purpose. Kind of like that shitty cartoon I used to watch when I was a kid, The Brave Little Toaster, which I don't recommend to anybody.

Anyway, I lost the plot somewhere here. The crux of the rant was meant to be this: plants are fucking insane, and the implications of intelligent plant life scare the shit out of me.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

would that book be jitterbug perfume ?