Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Ministry ruled my formative years

This friday, Ministry are playing the commodore, and the show is sold out. Tickets are going for $100 right now, based largely on the fact that this is the "last" Ministry tour ever.

I am going to great lengths to acquire the $100 that might be necessary to attend. Here is why:

In 1996, I was in 8th grade. My step dad made me a tape of Ministry's album "Filth Pig", and it blew me away. I then got into the previous album, with their one hit, "Jesus Built My Hotrod", and finally fell in love with their 3 key 80's industrial masterpieces, plus the shredding mini-live album, "In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up".

From the age of 12 to around 16, I would have called them my favourite band, based largely on their incredible transformation from a creepy electro-rock thing, into the sludgy beast of the late 90's, with all periods sounding equally as impressive. Ministry's history of stylistic reformation is on par with Bob Dylan, whom they covered "Lay Lady Lay", one of the songs that actually turned me onto Ministry so madly at 12 years old in the first place. It's mad cyclical.

Anyway, I have $25 in cash. $44 in US funds to transfer over. I'm harassing a friend to pay me back $15. I'm bringing in 10 months of liquor bottles piled up in my closet. I'm taking in my jar of change to the safeway for sorting, and hopefully $10-$15.

The reason is, my heroes are playing their final tour. I intend to say goodbye.

No comments: