Thursday, August 23, 2007

You Probably Think This Blog Post Is About You, Don't You?

So I was thinking about that Carly Simon song "You're So Vain" today, and I had the same frustrating train of thought that I usually do when I think about that song: the chorus makes no sense.

She only ever talks about one person throughout the entire song, then the chorus says "you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you." Well... it IS about him. His thinking that the song is about him has nothing to do with his vanity. Here, I can probably narrate his thoughts as he heard the song for the first time:

"Hey, this is that Carly girl that I met at that party... and she's singing about someone wearing an apricot scarf?! Ok, WTF, how many people does she know that wear apricot coloured scarves? Hmm, yeah, this song is definitely about me..."

The lyrics could make sense, but the chorus lines are misleading. By saying "you probably think this song is about you" directly after "you're so vain," the two ideas are connected in the listener's mind. However, being vain and thinking the song is about him (which it sure as fuck is) are not mutually exclusive.

You probably think this blog post is about you sucking balls at writing lyrics, Carly Simon. And it is.

No comments: